Tuesday, 14 May 2019


With exam season upon me, the 3 weeks leading up to the race felt hectic. I had no time to mentally prepare for the event and to be honest, I kind of forgot it was happening as I pushed it to the back of my mind whilst I studied. I also hadn’t found much time to train on the trails, so although I had some good mileage in my legs, they were mostly road miles and I just didn’t feel well prepped. Nevertheless… it was just a training run; it was never going to be a ‘race’ for me and was just good training practice for Race to the Tower.

It was a weekend full of driving (for Dom… thanks my love!) as we broke the journey up by stopping by Dorset, and then Kent, and then we drove up to Marlow the morning of the race. We had a few hold ups and so I was running a little late. My wave was due to set off at 9.30am, and I arrived at 9.15 and so just missed the wave before. Most people actually left in that first wave, so it felt really quiet when I set off.

The first half of the race saw us run through the hilly Chilterns. It was truly stunning! I walked the steep ups and ran the flats and downs and felt pretty strong. I didn’t bother stopping at the first pit stop as it was only 6 miles in and I just wanted to keep going. The group became very separated after the first pit stop and all of a sudden I felt very alone. I think most people were doing the ultra, so they headed up for an extra loop. I was running through fields and there weren’t any people in sight at all! The signposting was so fantastic though that I never once got lost… there were arrows every 100m or so to follow. As I was getting towards pit stop 2, the super speedy ultra runners were overtaking. Dan, fellow ASICS FrontRunner, sped past me and actually ended up winning which is amazing! Seeing a friendly face was nice, and everyone who then passed me said hi or well done, which is really needed on these smaller trail events when you don’t have any spectators etc.

Pit stop 2, about 14 miles in, I saw Dom. He filled up my water and topped up my Tailwind whilst I munched on a wedge of watermelon. The staff were so friendly and motivating too, I still felt strong and so didn’t stop for too long. I then ran past the start line again, where the half marathoners were just beginning their race. I heard Vicky shout my name, a quick hello and hug and I had a great burst of positivity that I powered on. It was all flat from here following the Thames Path to Windsor, so I thought I would be able to get back into a good pace and buy some time back lost on the hills (although I wasn’t chasing a time, I still thought in my head I’d like to do it in under 5 hours). Mile 15 came and I just felt exhausted. My legs ached, my heart rate felt high, and I just couldn’t get into rhythm. A slow pace for me was feeling tough and I kind of just wanted to head back to where I saw Dom and call it a day. I started to feel mad at myself for arriving late, because maybe if I’d started in the bigger wave, I would have had more company. But then I remembered if I finished, the colourful medal I would get and the cuddles with the Dulux dog. Not even joking, this thought is what convinced me to carry on.

Music on, head down, I carried on plodding. I was greeted by my Dad, Stepmum , Dom and Teddy (the lab) at 21 miles. I stopped for a while to chat with them and I was right by pitstop 4 where I was ready for a much needed water top up, orange slice and rich tea biscuit. Again, the staff were so lovely and helpful, they helped me refill my bottles and gave some words of encouragement. With just 10k to go, I bumped into Anna, who looked so strong, a quick hug and she was off to come in 2nd lady! 

Once we turned into the Windsor racecourse, cyclists were whizzing past also congratulating us which was just lovely. As soon as I saw the coloured flags I picked up my pace and went for that sprint finish, only for Dom to hand me Teddy to cross the finish line with him! I clocked up 27.2 miles and once again had that euphoric high of finishing a race. Turns out I came 9th female which I was pretty pleased about. I got my colourful medal and cuddle with Willow, the Dulux dog. I then proceeded to sit in a deck chair by the finish line for well over an hour refusing to move. All in all it was a lush day! It was quite mentally tough, just because I don’t think I was mentally prepped for it. But the views were amazing, organisation fantastic and we were very lucky with the weather. I’ll be back next year for more trail fun!

If you are tempted to take part in the London Revolution Trails half marathon, full or ultra next year, then you can follow this link to sign up

Those who sign up using this link before the end of May'19, will automatically be entered into a competition to win entry into another Threshold Trail event either this year or next year (up to you!) You can choose from Race to the Tower, Race to the King or Race to the Stones J

*I am an ambassador for Threshold Sports and was gifted entry to this race. I only work with brands I believe in and would only ever promote something I actively use/enjoy myself J

1 comment :

  1. When you have been bound to minimal results over the last number of days or weeks, then you will need to do kettlebell deadlifts. this resource being the physical exercise may use a substantial positive effect on most exercises simply because it strengthens energy and considerably improves mobility.


Back to Top